mercredi 22 janvier 2014

Sarah Blacker

After a first message posted several years ago, I am honored to post an interview with the amazing Sarah Blacker.

You should absolutely hear her voice!

http://www.sarahblacker.com
Follow @sarahblacker
https://www.facebook.com/sarahblackermusic


Where did grow up?


In a suburb of Boston called, Wellesley, MA


Who are your inspirations and your favorite bands/singers?


Joni Mitchell is my biggest inspiration as a vocalist, as well as Leslie Feist, Paul Simon and the prog-rock band, Yes to name just a few.


If you weren't singing, what would you be doing?

Healing. Being a clinical psychologist or a healer of some sort.


Who else in your family plays music and what they did to encourage you?

nobody - though my mother sang to me as a child. My father and I used to sit together and listen to his vast record collection which is now housed in my living room!


What genre of music can't you stand to listen to?

I've never been a fan of punk or hardcore music. Too much sonic input!


Your voice is the thing that I noticed first, recognizable and overwhelming, do you consider it as an instrument?

Absolutely, and furthermore, my body as the home of my instrument. If I'm not in tune, nor will my voice be. I've always considered myself as an instrumentalist with my voice - I love to improvise, and experiment melodically as well as with the different sounds and timbres I can produce.


Do you prefer writing music or lyrics?

I began writing as a poet as a young child. I always though I'd be a writer of short stories. I love to write music, but I can't stand writing down the notes. I've never been much of a musical theorist, but I do like to write down words.


You write lyrics of all your songs, how are you inspired?

I am inspired primarily by my experiences as a growing and learning woman, and also by those who are close to me, or who have had a profound impact on my life.


What would you say are your strong points?

My sense of humor, (completely sarcastic and goofy) my ability to make up songs on the spot, and perhaps my eye for the aesthetic in home-decorating and organizing.


I listen to your music since 3 or 4 years (you can read the first post here). How have you changed in the last four years?


I am much more confident in my voice as an artist, and my believe in the message that my songs portray. I feel that music is a gift, and each time I get on stage, I present it that way. My voice is stronger, and so is my songwriting and musicianship. I am much less afraid and much more grateful.


Can you give us details of past singing experiences (tour, meets)?


I can give many! One of my most memorable gigs was opening for America at the Lowell Summer Music Series. They were so nice, and I got to sing 'Horse With No Name' with them on stage during their encore. I grew up listening to their music, so this was surreal. I had a similar experience when opening for Paula Cole, as well as Rusted Root.


You writing and recording lots of new songs, a new album will be released in 2014?

I'm not sure yet if there will be a full length album released, though I do have enough new songs to record one. I will definitely at the very least, release some singles.


You are nominee by New England Music Awards to be ‘Female Performer of the Year,’ & for Song of the Year for ’Shiver,’ from your latest release ‘Precious Little Things’. Are you enjoying?


Very much so! I actually won, 'Female Performer of the Year' last year, but this year, along with single of the year, I'm nominated as, 'Songwriter of the Year' - folks can vote at http://www.nemusicawards.com/nominees


When were you most satisfied in your job?


Every time I'm on stage. The other work is what's difficult, taxing, and stressful, and at times even hopeless. When I'm on stage, that's what I've been striving for with all of the other steps in place. The lights are shining down, and I'm giving my gift of song, and hoping that people connect.


Have you ever been signed up by a record label?


This year, I was briefly signed with a collective called Big Crush Records, who unfortunately closed their doors this December.


Do you have a web site to publicize your first albums?


http://www.sarahblacker.com. They are also up on i tunes, CD Baby, Amazon


Your glasses are no longer part of your identity as singer. They became annoying? You no longer want to be identified to them?


I have actually never really performed with them, save just a few gigs. I used to wear contacts on stage, but now, I go glasses-less. I wear them in my every day life, but I choose to let my ears and heart do the seeing when I'm on stage.


In general terms, how important are visuals to you?


I'm not sure what you mean by this - image as a performer, or visuals in life? I think an image must fit the artist. You have to be comfortable in what you wear. What you wear on the outside often reflects how you feel on the outside.


What else can we expect from you in the future?


I have plans for more national (and hopefully international) touring coming up soon, some songs that will be on TV and in movies, and another music video in the new year.


Any plans for a tour In France?


I would love to tour France.

Sarah Blacker latest music video
and "Shiver" Live with glasses


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire