jeudi 2 janvier 2014

Kris Angelis

I only post messages for singers that I love and Kris Angelis is one of them! The first interview of the year was made with the help of my amazing friend Nina Sarenka Rud.

You need to quickly discover the wonderful Kris Angelis. Her voice and her music are unique!
Visit her websites: www.krisangelis.com subscribe to Kris Angelis channel!

Don't hesitate to vote for her every hour by clicking this link: https://artistsignal.com/krisangelis



Where did grow up?

I grew up on a farm in Alachua, FL outside of Gainesville and then moved to Carmel, CA when I was 11.


I have read that you started studying music at the age of 11, can you explain your musical background?

I actually started singing in church and school choirs around age 6 and started playing classical violin at age 9 and was in youth orchestra until the beginning of high school. I started doing musical theatre when I was 11 and started playing the guitar and writing songs to perform after that although I had been writing little songs with my sister since we were about 3.


Have you always enjoyed the art of music?

Yes! We didn't have cable TV on the farm (only two channels) so most of my entertainment was my parents record collection which included Elton John, The Beatles, The Eagles, The Platters, The Archies, Strauss, Mozart, Tchaikovski and my grandparent's Roger's and Hammerstein musicals on VHS. I would listen and dance and sing along and play with the speed of the records.


Whom or where do you get your inspiration for your songs?

The biggest influences to my actually making music and being a singer/songwriter were first Hanson and then Brandi Carlile who I incidentally discovered because she was opening for Hanson! I loved Hanson's melodies and harmonies and was inspired that they were so young and still doing it and Brandi's raw emotion and passionate powerful voice resonated with me and still does. There are many artists I am inspired by including Freddie Mercury, Elton John, Rufus Wainwright, Simon & Garfunkel, Ray Lamontagne, David Gray, Katie Herzig, The Lumineers, and Mumford & Sons to name a few. The inspiration for the content of my songs comes from my life. Things I feel and think about, people I love, things I'm working through. There is a Victor Hugo quote that says it very well: ‘Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.’


Your new album "The Left Atrium" was released in July, is there one song on this album that you especially love?

Thats a little like asking someone to pick their favorite child. I love them all for different reasons and they are so different! I love "Walk With You" because it's uplifting and has fiddle and banjo in it! I love "Not Your Fault" because its a love letter to myself as well as the person it's about and I especially like the musical arrangement on that one - the string plucking and building background vocals and tuned wine glasses. My producer Jeff Zacharski was great at diving into what I was trying to do with each song and bringing fun, interesting things to the table. Another favorite I'll mention is the last track "How Much?" because of its simplicity and the breathtaking instrumental departure that the wonderfully talented musicians who I'm blessed to call friends and who played on my album created with my guidance describing what I wanted it to feel like.


Did you write them in chronological order?

No. I think the first song may be the last one I wrote actually!


The song 'Not your fault' is your first song with a wonderful video. Do you have and idea what song might be your next single?

I have some other video ideas


Do you have a web site to publicize your first E.P. (Brief Sounds EP & Ghost In The Corner EP)?

I have an official website: www.krisangelis.com Those EP's are on it in the discography.


You play with another band called "Alix and Kris" with your twin sister, can you tell us more about it?

Its Kris&Alix - but either search would probably get you there. I have always sung with my sister - having twin voices makes harmonizing easy and awesome! We made it official a couple of years ago when we started working and writing with producers/singer/songwriters Morgan Taylor Reid and Alexander Cardinale. We released a single called "Chase Me"


Has your sister influenced your career as a singer/songwriter?

She definitely influenced my love of harmonies! She made them possible and they came much more naturally to her so I learned from her and I get feedback from her on my songs. She is a talented writer herself so often has great suggestions.


How would you classify—if you can—your genre music?

I think its folk/america/rock or pop with a little taste of country sometimes. Could be crossover country.


Are there any plans for a international tour in the future?

I am actually going to be on the Songs&Whispers Tour in Europe in April 2014. The dates and venues are not completely solidified yet but I will be playing in Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands and I believe France.


Where would you most like to perform? France?

I would love to perform in France! I've been there and its beautiful! I love the style, food, language, and music!


Many singers wear glasses, basically 24/7, but you take them off to share your music. Will you change your mind for the next video?

I don't often wear glasses - only when I'm going to the theatre usually so I can see farther more clearly and I like to have my eyes clearly visible and accessible when performing because they are the window to the soul! I did wear glasses for part of the "Not Your Fault" video though! When I'm brushing my teeth.


In general terms, how important are visuals to you?

Visuals are a big part of music for me. Whenever I hear a song or am writing or singing, I have imagery in my head and it can be a strong influencer in connecting emotionally to a song or piece of music which is why soundtracks are so loved. Music does the same for imagery. Its a symbiotic relationship.


What are your plans for 2014?

I am currently competing in and plan to win an international competition on ArtistSignal.com/krisangelis (I'm #3 where people can vote for me once an hour and the artist with the most votes at the end of the month wins $10,000 which I will use to fund my other plans which include: Playing in the Northwest of the US in early February A California tour with Jon Bryant in early March The European tour in April Writing and recording a follow-up EP which will include musicians from my travels


If you can please vote for her:  https://artistsignal.com/krisangelis

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire