vendredi 31 janvier 2014

Emily Kopp

The amazing singer Emily Kopp, who wrote one of the best songs of last year 'When We Fight', accepts an interview about her music for my blog!

Visit her: http://www.emilykoppmusic.com/, read this interview, share her music and follow her @EmilyKoppMusic.



Who is the real Emily Kopp?

What you see is what you get. There's only one version of me! I don't need much. People who make you happy, good food that keeps you healthy love that keeps you all warm inside, and good music. I try to appreciate the little things in life, always!


What are your goals/dreams in life?

My various goals/dreams include: traveling the world, collaborating with one of my favorite artists, sleeping on a tour bus (even just once), beating my mom in a cook-out, sky-diving, becoming fluent in Spanish, and building a successful full time career in music.


How long have you been singing for, and how did you learn how to do it?

I've been singing for as long as I can remember. It's something that came naturally. Learning to recognize, respect, and use my voice as an instrument is something that has been very beneficial. It's been a continuous learning process.


How has your life changed since becoming a musician?

I've acquired the skills to truly be autonomous and entrepreneurial in my career pursuits. I've always been self-motivated, but that work ethic has really grown since becoming a full time musician.


What singers, musician or otherwise, influenced you growing up?

I listened to a lot of pop music! (Backstreet Boys/Britney Spears). However, I was really into musicals -- like Annie, The Wizard of Oz, and Hair. I also really enjoyed a lot of the music that my parents were listening to like The Gypsy Kings, Carlos Vives, ABBA, and The Beatles.


Where do you get the inspiration for your music?

I draw from all sorts of things - from the bigger "picture" of relationships and feelings, to more focused and simple ideas, like a specific place or moment in time. It all comes very sporadically though.


I know that you’ve got a lot of music, there any songs of yours that you don’t like listening to?

I'm proud of the work I've done so far. However, I think it's natural to want to move on from the old, with the creation of the new. It's always very exciting playing new songs.


What is your compositional process? Lyrics or music first?

I'm very driven by melody. Typically the music comes first for me.


Speaking of lyrics, your voice is really beautiful. Most of your songs rely on the strength of your voice. Do you try to give messages in your songs?

To me, there is nothing quite like a good lyric. While my voice does carry quite a bit, I do aim to write songs that affect people from a lyrical sense. I'm always working towards becoming a more developed writer.


How did the recording process go for 'Serendipity Find Me'?

I't was a slow and steady process. Patience is a virtue, haha! Justin Beckler (producer) and I really worked on figuring out the right sound for the album - arrangement/ instrumentation/production wise. For me, it was truly a learning experience.


The first single 'When We Fight ' just came out a little while ago. What's the story behind that song as your first one out?

It is a very honest and real moment in time. The most beautiful relationships and love stories have hard times too - and this was just one of them.


Can you describe the process of turning this songs into a video?

I thought that depicting the story through children would be lighthearted and endearing. It took the heaviness off of the song a bit, and turned it into something really cute!


Have you developed a new video?

I'll be releasing a lyric video for the next single. There are certainly music video plans in the near future, though!


Where will your video be promoted? I’m excited to see whatever you do next!

Plans for the next video release are TBD.


I notice that you seem to be wearing your glasses in a lot of your pictures. Is there a story behind them?

Laziness! After awhile, I just stopped wanting to deal with contacts - especially on the road. Eventually, the glasses became a full-time commitment :)


I interviewed Sarah Blacker and Misty Boyce last month and they was talking about their glasses, 'I choose to let my ears and heart do the seeing when I'm on stage' or 'they’ve become my “thing”'. how would you define your style about them?

To be honest, I've never thought too deeply about it. I think it's cool that they've become a part of my brand. I wouldn't mind taking them off on stage every now and then to rock out - but then I wouldn't be able to see the set list, haha.


In general, are you satisfied with your music and image, or would you like to change something?

I'm very proud of my music so far, and am looking forward to growing as an artist. As far as my image - I'm a confident in my own skin and style - and I hope that it shows in a positive way.


Is hast already encountered some of singers shared on my blog? (Cossbysweater, Ingrid Michaelson, Hannah Winkler, The Empire Lights, Giulia Spallino.....)

Have I encountered any of them? Well, I listen to a lot of Ingrid Michaelson - but we've never met. I saw Hannah Winkler play a house show last year, with what is now "Secret Someones". They are really good. I recently saw Sara Bareilles perform in Orlando, and I believe Misty Boyce was playing in her band.


Who are some of your favorite performers to watch?

John Mayer, Sara Bareilles, Grace Potter, Lissie...to name a few. I also recently saw an Imagine Dragons concert. They blew me away!


Any plans for a tour in Europe soon? Which country would you play first?

No European plans as of now. But stay tuned!


What are the four things you must have while on the road?

Deodorant, iPhone, boots, Gillette razor.


What’s next for Emily Kopp?

I'm currently writing a lot. There is a lot of touring in store for 2014. I look forward to releasing new music as well!



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire