jeudi 1 mai 2014

Billy The Kid

The new interview is with the awesome singer Billy The Kid. Her voice is amazing and you should quickly discover her music.

Billy often wears contact lenses but it is an honor to post something for her music here. I add her latest video. This is the first video of a singer without glasses on my blog (but she was one of the first singers wearing glasses shared on my pages).

Please visit her website and buy her music: http://www.billythekidonline.com/

Her channel https://www.youtube.com/user/billythekidofficial


Is Billy is your real name?

It's just a nickname that stuck. It's the one that my brain remembers...I once passed out at a New York airport and just kept saying "What?" when security found my passport. My friend walked around the corner and said "Billy!" and I was like "Dude who are these crazy people."


Where were you born and where did you grow up?

Born and raised in Surrey, BC. That's in Canada. But I've lived a couple places since then.


What are your fondest musical memories? In your house, in your neighborhood or in your town?

Well in my house I would have to say the times my dad would take my brother and I to the record store. He'd let us pick out one album and we'd listen on the way home. I always liked that...listening to and analyzing music with my dad. In my town it would have to be all ages shows. Vancouver had a really great all ages community full of great bands and great people when I was growing up. I don't know what it's like now but I know for sure that this city helped encourage and support everything I do to this day.


Are your family members are musicians?

Yes! My dad was in a band when he was a kid. Then he more got into the business side of things but was still involved in music. My mom's artistic so I think she has a bit of the creative aspect in her as well.


I remember your first very rock songs with Billy & the Lost Boys, now your voice is highlighted. Why did you change? Is is that the Lost Boys are really lost?

Ha ha! Well it was definitely challenging in the end to find fellow musicians who could travel (and wanted to travel) all over the place all the time. In my opinion I never really changed because I always just played songs wherever people would let me. If the boys could show up, great. If not, I would play solo. All the songs are written on an acoustic guitar. So if anything it was the band who changed me haha.


Billy the Kid is considered as a band or a solo project?

Again, sometimes if it is convenient I will perform solo but I also have a band from Virginia called the Southside Boys. It's whatever the situation allows for, really.


Why this name Billy the Kid rather than Billy Pettinger?

It's just a nickname. People called me "kid" or even "the kid" in my first band the Blue Collar Bullets. Pettinger is my last name. I don't know it's just what people have always called me.


In the band you still wearing your glasses, unfortunately, thou hast abandoned. You no longer loved your glasses?

I hate glasses haha. I always lose them or break them on tour and I can't afford that.


Any chance to see you with them soon?

I hate glasses! Why does everyone love the glasses so much?


What kind of music do you listen to before and now?

All kinds. I really love the new Chuck Ragan album. We have some shows next month which I'm really excited about cause his band seems to really get how he's writing right now. I'm looking forward to hearing that album live. The new Hold Steady is so awesome. I can't stop listening to it. Growing up I really loved Nirvana and a lot of so-called "grunge" music. L7 and Babes in Toyland were pretty big influences too, as a young girl growing up.


Who are your favorite artists right now?

I guess I mostly listen to people who are nice and also play music haha. Chuck Ragan, Northcote, Lucero. I have always loved Ryan Adams way too much. He's a definite staple.


What is your favorite album/singer ever?

There are too many but I definitely paid $250 for a rare 10" pressing of Love Is Hell by Ryan Adams on vinyl.


What is the first song you sang?

About a Girl by Nirvana.


Can you explain your process of writing and composing songs?

I wish I could because then it would probably mean it would be a lot easier haha. I definitely put a lot of time in to it. Sometimes it happens quick but most of the time it's just a lot of hours and a lot or questioning, writing and re-writing. I go through phases where I write all the time, then I sort of get sick of it and walk away for months. As I get older I realize that's ok. I don't think you should write if it's not screaming to get out of you. I don't think you should be lazy either though.


Your lyrics are fictional or autobiographical?

A bit of both.


There is a new album on the horizon?

September 8th. Frank Turner and I made it in London.


Do you prefer studio recordings (compositions) or shows (meetings, playing music)?

When I was a kid the studio was really frustrating because I really sucked haha. Now I only kind of suck so it's easier to be creative and have fun. Plus once you get a certain number of records under your belt you start to learn what's important and what just...is not. I always liked playing but as I get older I really like to keep to myself. The concert aspect of things kind of stresses me out because it means I have to be in public.


Do you get nervous before a performance?

If it has been awhile sometimes I worry I will forget all my songs.


What makes a good show for you?

From a playing perspective? Honestly every day is different. I guess that is what I like about touring. One night you can be in this really beautiful venue with amazing sound but the crowd just got off work and it's friday so they're there to just get super drunk, which is fine, and then the next day you can be at some dive playing on the floor and it seems like the best thing ever. When I'm at a concert I just want to believe what the person is saying. It can be a rock show or just one dude on a stage alone but if any of it seems contrived, I just can't focus haha.


Where would you most like to perform?

Massey Hall in Toronto and the Grande Ole Opry in Nashville.


If you weren't singing, what would you be doing?

Probably working in some warehouse. I'd like to be a professional boxer. Or play violin in the Vancouver Symphony.


Are there any plans for a new european tour soon?

Yep! Got a month in the UK and Europe with Chuck Ragan.


Do you have a web site to publicize your first albums?

All the old records (and the new) are on iTunes as well as my online store which is billythekidonline.com


What next for Billy this year?

I guess just get this record out and keep on keeping on. Playing where I can. Hiding when I can haha.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire