mercredi 12 février 2014

K.C. McKanzie

The new interview is with the great musicain K.C. McKanzie. She is a folk and alternative songwriter from London.

She has recorded 3 albums: 'The Widow Tries to Hide' (2006), 'Hammer and Nails' (2011) and 'Dryland' (2011).

She is currently wearing glasses and has accepted some questions for my blog!! Listen to her amazing music and her unique beautiful voice!

Purchase her music: Amazon and visit K.C. McKanzie: http://www.kcmckanzie.com and like her music page!! Follow her @KCMcKanzie


Is K.C. McKanzie your real name?

K.C. McKanzie is an Artist name.


What city did you grow up and where do you live now?

I grew up in a tiny village in east germany and moved to Berlin when I was seventeen. Then I moved to London two years ago.


Have you studied music before? And how did you get started?

I learned a bit of guitar when I was a kid, but I never like it. Came back to the Instrument much later when I was 17. I started singing then, too. I just tried to copy the music I liked and sang when I was sure no one could hear me. I became more confident later and dared to sing in front of my bassplayer Budi.


You play the guitar and banjo, are there any other instruments you can play?

I play a tiny bit piano. I love playing the drums, but I don’t do it very often.


Whom are your musical inspirations?

I admire the following bands and musicians for different reasons: P.J. Harvey ,Gillian Welch, Patti Smith, Dolly Parton, Freddy Mercury, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Bessie Smith


What kind of music do you listen to today?

It varies a lot, today in the car I listened to a Noise-Rock / Post-Hardcore-Band called “KURT”.


What embarrassing songs might I find on your MP3 player?

I don’t have an mp3 player. But I have a lot of embarrassing records. Is an “Eurythmics” records hardcore enough?


Your music and songs have a romantic side, what genre would you classify them as?

Well, that’s the hard part. To describe oneselfes music. I would call it romantic, too. And it is definitely indie folk aswell. And I fit into the big box saying “Songwriter” aswell.


What/Whom inspires you?

I find music the most inspiring to write. It can give me a rhythm to work on top. So I basically copy music ;) I like books. Reading always inspired me to write songs.


Do you write your songs by yourself or get help?

I write all my songs myself. My bassplayer Budi helps me with the arrangements.


How many songs have you recorded?

We made three albums so far.


For the stage, are you joined by a band?

I play with by my bass/banjo/drum player Budi.


what do you think about when your preforming?

I think about the songs and the people and situations that inspired them. I think about my voice and how to use it best. I try to enjoy performing as much as possible and I try to build a connection with the audience.


What do you like and dislike about this job?

I love everything about my job, I guess. Playing music, travelling, recording and writing. I love it all.


Where would you most like to perform?

Oh, there are a lot of great clubs and festivals I would love to play. Too many to name them all.


Your glasses are your new trademark?

No, I am thinking of getting contacts soon!


Do you have a web site to publicize your music?

www.kcmckanzie.com


What can we expect for 2014?

I hope there will be some new recordings soon and more touring. I have a good feeling about this year.


English translation: Nina Sarenka Rud


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire