samedi 8 février 2014

Delaney Gibson

Delaney Gibson is an American singer-songwriter, lives in Austin, Texas and tours year round (New York City, Los Angeles, UK...).

Visit Delaney Gibson: http://delaneygibson.com and follow her @DelaneyGibson
Buy her CD: http://delaneygibson.com/store


Thank you very much to accept an interview for my blog. Can you start off by telling us more about yourself? Where did grow up?


I was born in Panama City, Florida. But, I grew up in a storied sea town, better know as Ventura, California. It's a little beach town about an hour north of Los Angeles. I've lived in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City and now I live in Austin, Texas. I have a fat hedgehog named Asterisk!


How old were you when you started getting involved in music?

My first performance was in kindergarten, I've been doing music ever since. Started writing my own music around age 13.


How would you define your musical style?

Confessional, theatrical, pop music. I have a background in classical music and musical theater. It's so deeply ingrained in me that it shines through. It's along the lines of new artists like Christina Perri, Florence + The Machine and Sara Bareilles.


What kind of music do you listen to today?

Manchester Orchestra, Bright Eyes, and 60's folk singers are on heavy rotation.


Who are some of your favorite bands/singers?

Freddie Mercury, Rufus Wainwright, Manchester Orchestra, Eva Cassidy. I love anything with luscious string arrangements and commanding vocals.


This is your third album 'The Worst Kind of Way' (2008), 'Hurricanes and Forget Me Nots' (2009) and the new 'Tall Like the Tree' (2014). Have you done anything differently this time around?

Instead of recording over a long period of time, we did it straight in just two months. Much more of an 'album' that way.


In 'Tall Like the Tree', you seem using many instruments such as, piano, guitar etc.... How many instruments do you play?

Thank  you, I played, piano, acoustic guitar and ukulele on the album. I play those at my performances as well. I also play a little glockenspiel and autoharp.


Can you give us some details of this recording?

Recorded in Los Angeles with my long time friend and Produced, Joshua Bartholomew. We went into his Los Angeles studio with my string arranger and cellist, Laura Mihalka. I had written over
72 songs while living in NYC and we came out with 11 tracks!


Do you feel you have grown as a songwriting since your first album?

I do, I think it's become bolder and I'd like to think my hooks have gotten better!


How do you write your songs?

Sometimes, I'll dream an entire song. Mostly, the music and melody comes to me piano/guitar/ukulele and then I write lyrics to express the music.


Do you write your lyrics or music first?

Music first, lyrics always come later. I could write music for days and days. But, lyrics take me a while to sit and process what I want to say.


Where do you get inspiration from  for your lyrics?

My own life, other people's lives, dreams, basically anything. But, it's always from something I feel passionately about.


Most people become instant fans of your sound. Are you open to the idea of collaborating with other singers?

I hope they are. I would love to. I'm always up to try anything new musically.


Do you think the fact that your song "La Di Da" was placed in various shows, really helped your career?

I do! Getting your songs placed opens you up to a wide audience. I gained a lot of new fans and exposure from it.


What advice, might you have,  for anyone trying to write music for the first time?

Write, write, write! Most of what you come up with won't be any good, but be okay with it and keep writing. It's the only way to get better.


I have listen to your music for many years and I recently discovered that you were wearing your glasses on stage. Are they new?

I only wore them once, I wasn't actually set to perform that night. But, the venue asked me to get up and play a song. There are soooo many singer/songwriters wearing their glasses on stage these days. Even though, I do need my glasses, when I wear them I feel like I'm just trying to be like everybody else. I've worn glasses since I was a baby, people used to make fun of me pretty badly for wearing them. It's ironic that they are now in fashion. I tend to wear my glasses in my day to day life. When I get on stage, I like to wear my contacts and get fancy!


Are there any music videos in the works for the new songs?

We are set to make a video for "Stars" and "When We Were Young" and hopefully "Swoon"! Plus, a few lyric videos. We'll be quite busy with videos in 2014!

Link to Delanay Gibson videos: here
I try not to wear my glasses too much. I get compared to Ingrid Michaelson with the glasses and red hair. Not that it's a bad thing! She's amazing!! I still wear them in the occasional video. I wore them in the beginning of the "Give Up the Ghost" music video! :)


Which song will be the first single?

"Give Up the Ghost"
You can watch the music video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWf704OEqf8


Where is the best place to buy your music?

iTunes!
Here's the link:https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tall-like-the-tree/id775834980
You can buy physical cd's on cdbaby
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/delaneygibson1
and my website
www.delaneygibson.com


Are you touring for this new album?

I'm heading out for some album release shows. My NYC album release show is on May 17th at Rockwood Music Hall (Stage 3). I'm planning a short tour in the UK/France this fall too!


What do you hope for in 2014?

I hope to get 'Tall Like the Tree' to as many ears as I can. I'd love to get some of these songs placed on film/tv. Also, lots of touring and enjoying life!


English translation: Nina Sarenka Rud



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire