samedi 30 novembre 2013

Giulia Spallino

Giulia Spallino is an amazing Italian artist singer. She accepted this interview few weeks ago.  Go have a listen and like Giulia on the web:
http://www.giuliaspallino.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/GiuliaSpallino
https://soundcloud.com/#giulia-spallino
https://www.facebook.com/giulia.spallino


Where did you grow up and where do you live now?


I grew up in a small town near Bergamo, in the north of Italy, but now I live with my boyfriend and our dog in the city. It 'a very beautiful town, but quite small, and like all cities has its pros and cons.


How long do you play music and how did you get started?

I started singing very late, when I was 20 years old.. I was just shy and I could not really sing in front of other people. When I broke up with my ex-boyfriend, as all women (do) when there is a big change in their life, I realized that I had to start using this gift I had: I took courage and began singing in a gospel choir. Then came my acoustic trio (vocal and guitar), a funk band, a reggae band ... and after all this, I discovered my songs.


What is your musical background?

I listen to all kinds of musical genres: from 70s rock to 90s hip hop, from dance music to folk, from soul to pop ... I think all genres have their meaning and their path, and every sound can give me something. All can inspire me.


What music are you listening to now?

My musical guide is and will always be Lauryn Hill. But now I really like reggae music (my boyfriend is a reggae dj and I really like the vibes) and electronic music contaminated with soul ... by chance, do you know Delilah or Little dragon? That kind of stuff.


The first song ever sung?

The first song ever sung in my life in a "serious" occasion was a gospel song: I do not remember the title, but I remember that I was very nervous and my legs were shaking (and I always looked at EYES Director of the Choir). Instead, the first recording experience was disastrous ... After have hearing my voice, I burst into tears and ran away from the studio!


Tell me about your writing process. Do you co-write or do you write alone?

I usually write alone, in my room, in my kitchen, on my bed, on a bus .. They are all very PERSONAL thoughts, which relate to my life and my experience. For this reason, I write alone. Once I figured out what I want to say / write, I begin to give it a SHAPE and A MELODY. It all happens very naturally and when I realize that it’s not like so, I start over.


How many songs have you recorded?

Maybe 10-12 songs, I don’t remember exactly.


A LP?

Now, I'm working on my first EP: it will consist of 5+1 tracks and it will be released next spring. It was a very long and hard work for me, but I'm really proud of what I have become.


Is that you have a website to disseminate your music?

I have my website www.giuliaspallino.com but for now it contains only all my social links (fb, twitter, instagram, pinterest..)


What has been your most memorable experience thus far?

The most amazing experience was a very personal one (as opposed to what you might think). My uncle asked me to sing a song at my aunt’s funeral.. I sang Jeff Buckley's Halleluja: it was the most strong and intense moment of my life. For the first time I really sang from the heart. My broken heart.


Are there any plans for a tour in the future?

By now there isn't anything concrete, but when my EP will come out, there will be some promotional dates for sure.


Which country would you play first?

First of all I'd like touring my country and let Italy know my music. Obviously, I want also to bring my music abroad and everywhere :)


Is there anyone you'd want to tour with?

Regarding Italian artists, I'd like to open the concert of Meg (highly recommend). Regarding foreign artists instead, my dreams are about Lauryn Hill and Erykah Badu, the queens of nu soul. But they’re only dreams, you know


Like all the singers on this blog, you wear glasses. Are they real or only for fashion?

Unfortunately they’re real cause I'm a little bit blinded


What's next step for you now?

Next step is finishing the video we're shooting for my first single, then I’ve got to finish my whole EP and continue writing as much as possible.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire